Hockey fights, round 2
Friday, April 11, 2008 | 12:25 PM ET
Hope you enjoyed the interview with David Singer of Hockeyfights.com yesterday on the blog, and today, as promised, here are David’s Top 10 fighters and fights of the season
Singer’s Top 10
1. Georges Laraque - His most active year since the lockout and his reputation didn't take a hit.
2. Donald Brashear - The vet had another solid year. It's no coincidence Brash and Laraque protect are on the same bench as the game's two biggest stars.
3. Derek Boogaard - Boogey fought through a tough, injury-plagued season, but he's still one of the most feared in the game for good reason: his punches hurt, bad.
4. Colton Orr - Orr also packs a big punch, and he took on all the heavyweights this season. It's not an easy job to do in the Garden.
5. D.J. King - King's finally getting his due. He's a solid heavy who took on the some of the best in the league, getting the best of many. His time could be hampered by recently acquired hometown favorite Cam Janssen.
6. Eric Godard - While anything can happen in a fight, Godard's proved on more than one occasion it will - from both sides.
7. Brian McGrattan - Didn't see a lot of action due to injury, but he's always a potential threat on the ice.
8. Wade Belak - If he's dressed, he can hang with the best of them. Hopefully he'll sign with a team this offseason that wants him somewhere other than the press box.
9. George Parros - A college man who's spent the last five seasons learning on the job. He's done well and takes chances, staying more active than any other heavyweight.
10. Darcy Hordichuk - One of few players who can seem quiet even when they have double digit fighting majors. Hordi did his job well this season, perfectly actually. 12 fighting majors, 60 penalty minutes. Not one PIM from a non-fighting penalty.
Honorable mentions have to go to: Shawn Thornton, Riley Cote and Raitis Ivanans.
Top 10 NHL fights of 2007-2008
1. Barch vs May Jan 15, 2008
2. Cote vs Thornton Oct 27, 2007
3. Godard vs King Nov 25, 2007
4. Tucker vs Ruutu Jan 03, 2008
5. Cote vs Asham Nov 08, 2007
6. McGrattan vs Orr Oct 13, 2007
7. Cote vs Thornton Mar 15, 2008
8. Orr vs Cote Nov 15, 2007
9. May vs Barch Mar 19, 2008
10. Laraque vs Brashear Oct 20, 2007
Here's another May-Barch for good measure: May vs Barch Nov 21, 2007
This discussion is now Open. Submit your Comment.
Post a Comment
About the Author
Jeff Marek, one of sports talk radio's brightest stars, is the host of the all-new HNIC Radio on SIRIUS Satellite Radio. A twelve-year sports-talk radio veteran, the Toronto native provides intelligent hockey talk, insight and debate during the two-hour national daily drive-time hockey program.
Well known for his previous work on Leafs Lunch on AM 640 Toronto Radio, Marek is one of sports talk radio's most respected personalities. He joined AM 640 in 2000, hosting The Jeff Marek Show, a nightly open-line talk show, while working as the stations' morning news anchor. He quickly became the director of sports news and joined host Bill Watters on Leafs Lunch.
- Love him or hate him, the NHL needs Sean Avery
- Wednesday, April 16, 2008
- Avery's latest antics being overblown
- Monday, April 14, 2008
- Hockey fights, round 2
- Friday, April 11, 2008
- Fighting's back in the NHL, with a vengeance
- Thursday, April 10, 2008
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Wednesday, April 9, 2008
- Subscribe to Upon Further Review
- April 2008 (6)
- March 2008 (5)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (16)
- December 2007 (12)
- November 2007 (9)
- October 2007 (23)
- September 2007 (1)