Junior hockey goalie Roy pleads not guilty
Assault case involving son of former NHLer Patrick Roy put off until Nov. 10
Goalie Jonathan Roy of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's Quebec Remparts entered a not guilty plea through his lawyer Tuesday following an attack on another goaltender last March.
Roy, the son of Hall of Fame netminder Patrick Roy, was not in the Saguenay, Que., courtroom while his lawyer, Jean-Louis Lemay, asked to get more evidence.
The case has been put off until Nov. 10.
In a March 22 playoff game, a brawl involving 10 skaters on the ice ensued.
Roy, whose father is coach and general manager of the Remparts, is accused of charging centre ice in Chicoutimi Sagueneens goalie Bobby Nadeau's direction in an apparent challenge. Nadeau offered no resistance and was pummelled repeatedly after having his mask ripped off, it has been reported.
Roy, 19, was suspended seven games, charged with one count of assault and faces a maximum fine of $2,000 or up to six months in prison.
Nadeau, who now plays for the Prince Edward Island Rocket, said he didn't retaliate because his coach had told him never to fight.
Although the incident prompted some Quebec politicians to call for a fighting ban, the QMJHL decided last week to enforce 31 stiffer penalties recommended by a committee hired this past spring to examine hockey violence.
"We won't accept anything that's not part of the game of hockey," QMJHL president Gilles Courteau said. "We're working to change the culture of the game. We don't want to see any more bad situations in hockey."
With files from the Canadian Press