An Ontario man faces a fraud charge following complaints that 100 young Canadian hockey players didn't get what they paid for when they travelled to Europe for a summer tournament.
Randy Gumbley, 42, of Mississauga was arrested and charged Thursday with one count of defrauding the public.
Parents had told police that their sons, from various areas of Ontario and aged 16 to 21, were out about $2,800 each for what they thought was a "dream" trip.
The players were allegedly told they might land spots on European hockey teams if scouts liked what they saw during the tourney.
In Colmar, France they quickly discovered that there was no tournament, no other teams and no scouts.
Carol Golow — whose son Ryan, 19, went on the trip — told The Canadian Press she was pleased a charge has been laid.
"Deep down inside it broke their spirits, really," Golow said. "I was sad in my heart because I knew that a bunch of boys had been lied to and their dreams went up in smoke.
"He's still active, he's still having fun, but his dream is gone," she said of her son.
Police allege Gumbley, who was to appear in a Brampton, Ont. court on Thursday, ran a business known as Ontario Central Scouting under the alias Frances Poirier.