Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Martin Biron makes one of his 34 saves Saturday night. ((Ryan Remiorz/Canadian Press))

This time, Martin Biron got the better of the Montreal Canadiens.

Biron was magnificent Saturday night, making 34 saves — several of them of the highlight-reel variety — to lead the Philadelphia Flyers to a 4-2 victory over the hometown Habs in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference semifinal.

Montreal outplayed and outshot Philadelphia 36-23 on the night, but Biron's heroics kept his team in the contest and allowed the Flyers to tie the semifinal at 1-1, with the best-of-seven series set to shift to the City of Brotherly Love for the next two games.

Saturday's victory was sweet revenge for Biron, who was just as outstanding in Game 1 before giving up a goal with 29 seconds in regulation and then being beat 48 seconds into overtime of a heartbreaking 4-3 loss.

"It's a special night for us. To go home tied 1-1 is special. The first game we let slip away, but tonight we stuck to our system, worked hard and we're back in the series," Biron told Hockey Night in Canada after the game.

Teammate Daniel Briere said the Flyers had a point to prove after their late collapse in Game 1.

 "We weren't happy with the first game, but we came back tonight, battled hard and got the result, and that's what matters most," said Briere, who scored his seventh goal of the playoffs Saturday.

Briere was unmercifully booed by the 21,273 spectators in attendance — Montreal fans are still sore that he shunned the Canadiens to sign with the Flyers as a free agent last summer — but his second-period goal silenced the crowd.

Still, Briere said he found no extra pleasure in scoring that goal, and insisted that all of his goals in the playoffs are equally important.

"I said from the beginning, this series is not about me, it's about the Philadelphia Flyers," Briere said.

Montreal goalie Carey Price, far from his best in this series, struggled again Saturday, looking tentative and giving up a soft goal in the first period.

The Canadiens dominated the proceedings from the opening faceoff, but it was the Flyers who jumped out to a shocking 2-0 lead on goals from R.J. Umberger and Jeff Carter. Umberger beat Price with a harmless shot at 5:53 and Carter scored on the power play three minutes later with a quick wrist shot.

Montreal tallied a power-play goal of its own with four minutes left in the period, captain Saku Koivu scoring his first goal of the season on a wraparound to cut into Philadelphia's lead.

The Canadiens came out flying in the second period and forced Biron to make several outstanding stops, including robbing Tomas Plekanec twice with glove saves, once on a breakaway and the other on a blast from the slot on a power play.

Montreal paid for its wastefulness in front of goal when Briere beat Price from in close after cutting in from the boards and making a nice move in front of the net.

A defensive breakdown allowed the Canadiens to draw a goal back 1:26 into the third with the teams playing four-on-four. Andrei Markov found himself all alone in front of the Philadelphia goal and slipped a quick wrist shot by Biron

Montreal kept the pressure on and swarmed Biron's net, but the Flyers goalie made some big saves and Umberger scored his second goal of the contest at 17:39 to seal the win for Philadelphia.

Game 3 of the series goes Monday in Philadelphia (CBC,, 7 pm ET).