Bruins GM not expecting Savard this season
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told the Boston Globe on Wednesday that centre Marc Savard won't suit up for the team during the 2011-12 season.
"Marc Savard won’t play this year," Chiarelli told Globe reporter Fluto Shinzawa. "Nothing has changed in our monitoring. He’ll be examined and he’ll be declared unfit to play."
Savard last played on Jan. 24, when he suffered a concussion resulting from a hit in a game against Colorado.
It was Savard's second serious head injury in less than a year, following a blindside hit he suffered on March 7, 2010 when struck by Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke.
Savard played just 32 games in between those injuries, but was not the same player who once ranked among the NHL's top point getters since the lockout, recording just three goals and 10 assists.
The Bruins signed the Ottawa native to a seven-year contract extension in late 2009, worth just under $30 million US.
Savard, now 34, admitted last year that the concussion that resulted from the Cooke hit was not the first of his career. He has been open about the difficult recovery process, admitting to headaches, nausea and depression.
Chiarelli told the Globe he would be surprised if Savard ever played another NHL game.
When placed on the long-term injured list, Savard would not count against Boston's roster size or salary cap.