392bergeron_patrice080407ap

Boston Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron could return to the lineup during their first round series against the Montreal Canadiens. ((Greg M. Cooper/Associated Press))

The Boston Bruins could receive a post-season boost as forward Patrice Bergeron has been cleared to play after missing most of the season with a concussion.

According to Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli, Bergeron, 22, was examined by his doctors on Monday and told he could play.

The native of Ancienne-Lorette, Que., was hit from behind by Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Randy Jones on Oct. 27, 2007. Bergeron crumpled to the ice after the hit, lost consciousness and was taken from the ice on a stretcher.

Jones received a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct, and was later suspended two games by the NHL.

Bergeron had been participating in one-way contact in practice for the past month —meaning he could hit, but he couldn't take hits or play in games until he returned to full strength. After he received clearance on Monday, Bergeron practiced with full contact.

Chiarelli said that Bergeron's response to practice situations will determine whether he can rejoin the team at any point of the team's first-round playoff series against the Montreal Canadiens.

Bergeron said that he won't play in Thursday's series opener.

In 239 career games with the Bruins, Bergeron has scored 72 goals and added 117 assists.

With files from the Associated Press