Blues chase Raycroft in 1st period

David Perron scored three goals, twice in a span of 1:54 during a four-goal first period, and Brad Boyes added a goal and three assists to lead the St. Louis Blues to a 6-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday night.

Canucks goalie Luongo makes 1st appearance since Oct. 27 in 6-1 loss

The St. Louis Blues believed they were due for a breakout game at home. Andy McDonald, Brad Boyes and David Perron paved the way for an offensive outburst.

The trio combined for 10 points, with Perron recording his first NHL hat trick, Boyes netting a goal and three assists, and McDonald contributing a goal and two assists in his 500th career game.

It added up to St. Louis's 6-1 victory Tuesday night over the visiting Vancouver Canucks.

The Blues, who were 1-5-1 in their first seven home games, scored four times in the first 7:36, including Perron's two goals in a span of 1:54.

The team's record for the quickest four goals at the start of a game is 6:41, set on Feb. 6, 1973, against the Canucks.

"We hadn't played real well at home," said Boyes, who nearly matched his season total of six points. "It was a tough building to play in last year. We've got to get that way again. This was a good way to get going."

Erik Johnson also scored and Chris Mason made 22 saves for the Blues, who had scored only two goals in their previous four games in St. Louis.

The Canucks, who had won three of four, got a third-period goal from Henrik Sedin.

"They beat us to loose pucks, they were the better team 1-on-1 and they had better chances obviously," Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault said of the Blues. "They played real well. That team came out real hard. Their execution was real good and they took it to us real hard in the first period. They had some quality chances and they buried them."

Andrew Raycroft, who came in with a 4-1 record and 1.60 goals-against average while No. 1 goalie Roberto Luongo was injured, allowed four goals on 13 shots before being replaced after the first period. Luongo then made his first appearance since Oct. 27, when he broke a rib.

"Obviously it was a tough first period," Raycroft said. "Four goals in eight minutes is not good enough."

McDonald scored 18 seconds into the game, beating Raycroft with a wrister from the slot after a drop pass by Boyes. Perron's deflection in the slot of Boyes's shot from the top of the left circle at 5:42 made it 2-0.

Deflected off Canuck

Johnson, who missed last season due to a knee injury, scored his first goal since March 28, 2008, when his feed into the slot deflected into the net off Canucks winger Matt Pettinger's skate at 6:53.

Perron scored his sixth of the season by sending in a wrist shot from the right circle at 7:36, giving the Blues a 4-0 lead. Boyes's third goal of the season came on the power play, a one-timer from the left circle off a feed from McDonald past Luongo at 18:45 of the second period.

Sedin broke Mason's shutout bid 1:02 into the third when his backhander trickled over Mason and across the goal-line after Ryan Kesler picked the goalie behind the net.

Perron completed his first NHL hat trick when he deflected in Johnson's shot at 15:53 in the third.

It was the first meeting between the teams since the Canucks swept the Blues in the first round of the playoffs last season.

Vancouver left-winger Daniel Sedin (broken foot) was on the ice Tuesday morning but didn't play. Sedin, sidelined since Oct. 10, could be in the lineup Thursday at Detroit.