Jarrod Maidens' second goal of the game came 3:27 into overtime to give the Owen Sound Attack a 3-2 victory over the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors Sunday afternoon to capture the Ontario Hockey League championship.

Maidens managed to tuck a dribbler from the edge of the crease past the right pad of Mississauga goaltender J.P. Anderson for the winning goal in the seventh and deciding game of the series. It was his sixth goal of the playoffs.

The teams went into the third period tied 2-2 after trading first-period goals.

The Attack twice had the lead in the first only to see the Majors come back each time.

Mike Halmo's fifth goal of the playoffs four minutes into the game put the Attack out in front 1-0.

The Majors came back to tie the score on defenceman Stuart Percy's second playoff goal a little more than three minutes later.

Maidens restored Owen Sound's lead at 12:34 of the opening frame but Jordan Mayer put the Majors back on even terms just over two minutes later with his ninth post-season goal. Attack defenceman Jay Gilbert was serving a high-sticking penalty at the time.

The Attack went with Jordan Binnington in goal for the second game in a row and he stopped 27 shots.

Binnington was the big reason the Attack got to the seventh game in the championship series. He made 41 saves in Thursday night's 3-2 victory in Owen Sound, his first appearance in goal for the Attack since March 31 when he allowed five goals against the London Knights in the Western Conference quarter-finals.

At the other end, Anderson made 24 saves.

Both the Majors and the Attack now advance to the Memorial Cup, which begins next Friday night in Mississauga.


Alexandre Beauregard scored the winner for the Saint John Sea Dogs in a 3-2 double overtime victory over the Gatineau Olympiques on Sunday to capture the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's President's Cup.

Stanislav Galiev and Jonathan Huberdeau scored for the Sea Dogs as Jacob DeSerres faced 36 shots.

Philip-Michael Devos and Adam Janosik scored for the Olympiques. Maxime Clermont stopped 52 shots.

Saint John won the QMJHL final series 4-2.

The Sea Dogs had the best record in the QMJHL, going 58-7-1 in the regular season and will now advance to the Memorial Cup tournament in Mississauga, Ont.

Beauregard scored the game winner at 15:45 of double overtime. The puck bounced off Gatineau's David Weckworth's skate and landed right on Beauregard's stick who beat Clermont just inside the post.