Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron sustained a concussion and broke nose Saturday after being hit along the boards by Philadelphia's Randy Jones. ((Michael Dwyer/Associated Press))

The World Series champion Red Sox weren't the only Boston professional sports team with reason to smile Monday.

The NHL's Bruins received some good news when centre Patrice Bergeron was released from hospital on Sunday, a day after suffering a concussion and broken nose after being hit from behind by Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Randy Jones.

Bergeron, 22, was released from Massachusetts General Hospital, where a team doctor said tests didn't show any other serious injuries to Bergeron's head or neck.

There was no immediate word on how long the fourth-year NHLer might be out of the lineup. Bergeron is tied for second in Bruins scoring with three goals and seven points in 10 games this season.

Late in the first period of Saturday's 2-1 loss, Bergeron was hammered to the end boards face-first by Jones, who was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct.

Bergeron of Ancienne-Lorette, Que., crumpled to the ice and lay on his back motionless. He lost consciousness and was taken from the ice on a stretcher.

"Words can't express the way I feel right now," Jones, 26, said in a statement released by the Flyers.

"I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It wasn't intentional, it's something I have never done before, it is not part of my character.

Bruins coach Claude Julien called it "a dirty hit."

"I'm not saying he's a dirty player, all I'm saying is it was a dirty hit. We'll just have to let the league take care of it ... and hopefully they will," Julien said.

"This is the third major incident that club's had in 10 games. It's something that has to be addressed there."

Flyers prospect Steve Downie was suspended 20 games after a hit to the head of Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond in an exhibition contest. Then on Oct. 10 in Vancouver, Jesse Boulerice laid a vicious cross-check to the mouth of Canucks centre Ryan Kesler that resulted in a 25-game suspension.

With files from the Canadian Press