Georges St-Pierre to announce future plans Friday
Canadian UFC champ coming off controversial win
Georges St-Pierre will shed light on his future later this week in Quebec City.
There has been a question-mark hanging over the UFC welterweight champion since his controversial win over No. 1 contender Johny Hendricks last month at UFC 167. St-Pierre said immediately after the fight that he needed time away from his sport to take care of personal matters and ponder his future.
It appears the 32-year-old from Montreal has made up his mind.
St-Pierre, currently on vacation in Dubai, confirmed by text to The Canadian Press that he will be announcing his future Friday.
As of Monday, even the UFC was in the dark as to their pay-per-view king's plans. UFC president Dana White told The Canadian Press that he was letting St-Pierre "have his time."
The unlikely venue is a skating rink at a Quebec City mall. St-Pierre's manager, Rodolphe Beaulieu, said it was a previously scheduled appearance, with the fighter slated to meet fans and sponsors.
St-Pierre will also take questions briefly from the media. While Beaulieu said St-Pierre was not making an announcement per se, he said the champion will answer questions.
St-Pierre (25-2) has not lost since April 2007, dominating the 170-pound division while becoming one of Canada's best-known athletes.
His split decision win over Hendricks on Nov. 16 in Las Vegas extended his string of victories to 12, the longest current run in the UFC. It was his ninth successful title defence and ninth straight title defence, one behind former middleweight champion Anderson Silva in each category. And it was his 14th championship fight, one behind Randy Couture.
The victory also moved GSP past Silva for most wins in UFC title bouts at 12.
St-Pierre also extended his UFC mark for most championship rounds fought to 52.
I need to think. I have stuff going on in my life...This is my personal life,- George St. Pierre
But many, including White, scored the last fight for Hendricks. And St-Pierre's post-fight remarks about taking a break infuriated the UFC boss, who calmed down after meeting privately with the fighter.
The champion has not detailed the personal issues at play.
"I need to think. I have stuff going on in my life ... This is my personal life," St-Pierre told the post-fight news conference. "I cannot speak to you about this. You're a reporter, I know your job is to make things public. But I have a personal life, I keep personal some of my stuff."
A TMZ report said the champion is dealing with a family illness and a personal issue.
White told The Canadian Press that St-Pierre had told him the report was not true.
After meeting the champion privately after the fight, White said St-Pierre's issues "aren't as bad as he thinks they are."
"Yeah, we'll get through this," he added.
St-Pierre does not need to fight again. He is financially set, thanks to millions made in the cage and endorsements with the likes of Under Armour and Bacardi.
Should he decide to keep fighting, a lucrative rematch with Hendricks awaits.