One day after former NFL star O.J. Simpson was questioned as a suspect after a confrontation at a Las Vegas casino hotel room involving sports memorabilia, his accuser now wants the case dropped.
Sports memorabilia collector Alfred Beardsley said he "wants this thing to go away," just one day after he initially reported to police that Simpson and several other men stormed a Las Vegas hotel room and stole the memorabilia at gunpoint.
According to the Associated Press, Beardsley said he reported the incident to police only because the items were valuable and if he had not reported them as stolen he would be held accountable.
No charges had been filed and no one was taken into custody over the incidentas police continue to try to piece together the series of events prior to Simpson leaving the hotel room with memorabilia he says was stolen from him.
Las Vegas Police officials think a weapon was involved and want to review hotel surveillance tapes.
Simpson has said he went to the room to retrieve property he said had been stolen from him but denied breaking in or using any guns.
The Heisman Trophy winner, ex-NFL star and actor has not been under any restrictions and has been free to leave Las Vegas at any time, according to police.
Simpson told the Associated Press that auction house owner Tom Riccio called him several weeks ago to say some collectors "have a lot of your stuff and they don't want anyone to know they are selling it."
Simpson, who was in Las Vegas for a friend's wedding, said he arranged to meet Riccio at the hotel and conducted a "sting operation."
"Everybody knows this is stolen stuff," Simpson said on Friday. "Not only wasn't there a break-in, but Riccio came to the lobby and escorted us up to the room. In any event, it's stolen stuff that's mine. Nobody was roughed up."