Aaron Hernandez attorneys seek Patriots records in murder case

Aaron Hernandez's attorneys asked a judge on Tuesday in Fall River, Mass., to approve their subpoena to the New England Patriots for the team's medical, psychological and other records on the former player.

Lawyers say records are potentially relevant to his state of mind

Ex-Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, left, talks with one of his defence attorneys, Charles Rankin, during a hearing at the Bristol County Superior Court House in Fall River, Mass., on Monday. Hernandez's attorneys asked a judge on Tuesday to approve their subpoena to the NFL team for its medical, psychological and other records on the former player. (Faith Ninivaggi/Associated Press)

Aaron Hernandez's attorneys asked a judge on Tuesday in Fall River, Mass., to approve their subpoena to the New England Patriots for the team's medical, psychological and other records on the former player.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the June 2013 shooting death of Odin Lloyd, whose body was found in North Attleboro near Hernandez's home.

On Monday, a Bristol Superior Court judge set a July deadline for the team to respond to the defence's earlier requests for the 2010-2013 records. But in a motion filed Tuesday, Hernandez's attorneys said the records are potentially relevant to his circumstances and state of mind, and asked to have them within 30 days.

The Patriots did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The motion seeks records including, but not limited to, "psychological testing, medication records, X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, drug or alcohol abuse-related records, other medical records, physical therapy records, scouting reports, and investigative reports."

The motion said the request "is not intended as a general `fishing' expedition" but is essential to preparing for his trial, which may begin in October.

Hernandez, a tight end, was drafted by the Patriots out of the University of Florida in 2010. The team released him in June 2013 hours after he was arrested in the slaying of Lloyd, a semi-professional football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.

Hernandez also pleaded not guilty last month in a separate case accusing him of killing two men in Boston in July 2012, about a month before he signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.