Brendan Taman couldn't stomach the thought of Nate Davis playing defence for a Canadian Football League team not named the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
So the Bombers' general manager found enough room under the league's $4.05-million salary cap to sign the 33-year-old free-agent tackle. The deal was made official Monday.
The six-year CFLer spent the last six seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who cut him earlier this year due to salary reasons.
"Our staff evaluated him, and he was just too good of a guy to pass up," Taman told the Winnipeg Sun Monday night.
Davis made 20 defensive tackles and four quarterback sacks in 17 games for Saskatchewan in 2006.
The six-foot-five, 315-pound Davis joins fellow import tackles Ron Warner and Eric Wilson on the Blue Bombers defensive line along with Canadian starter Doug Brown.
Taman said it's doubtful all three will be in attendance when training camp opens in early June.
Charlton bolting to NFL?
In other Blue Bombers news, free-agent linebacker Ike Charlton might not return to Winnipeg, or the CFL, for that matter.
The Morning Journal in Ohio is reporting that Charlton was scheduled to work out with the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League on Monday.
Charlton was unavailable for comment, but Taman said he will "wait and see what happens."
Taman is awaiting word from Charlton on a two-year contract offer.
Dinwiddie a training camp hopeful
Taman had a good discussion with quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie last week, he said,and expects the pivot to be at training camp in June.
While the two have issues to resolve, Taman said their discussion was non-confrontational.
Dinwiddie signed with the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League in January despitehaving acontract with Winnipeg for the 2007 season.