Michael Vick's water bottle contained no traces of marijuana, tests showed. ((Marc Serota/Getty Images) )

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick won't face criminal charges after a water bottle was seized by security at Miami International Airport.

Lab tests on the bottle, which police said smelled of marijuana and contained a hidden compartment, found no evidence of drugs, according to a memo issued Monday by Deisy Rodriguez, an assistant state lawyer.

"Based on the lab's findings, the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office is not filing criminal charges," Rodriguez said in the memo, adding the bottle no longer is considered evidence in an investigation.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts applauded the swift action by the Miami authorities.

Vick's lawyer, Lawrence H. Woodward Jr., said Vick wanted to put the matter behind him.

"Michael fully understands that his actions on and off the field are a reflection on the Atlanta Falcons and the NFL," Woodward said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press.

"Michael intends to spend this off-season focusing on his family, working with his teammates and the new coaching staff to ensure that the Falcons have a great season in 2007, and devoting time to his charitable interests."

Bottle seized at airport

Vick, 26, was forced to surrender the bottle when he attempted to take it through airport security last Wednesday.

He was not arrested and went on to board an AirTran flight to Atlanta.

A police report said the bottle appeared from the outside to contain water, but had a compartment behind the label.

That compartment contained a "small amount of dark particulate" and an odour consistent with marijuana, the report said.

Monday's memo did not say what the material was.

Police also said last week the lab analysis could take several weeks.

The decision not to prosecute followed a weekend report by ESPN based on anonymous sources that Vick was not carrying marijuana or any other illegal substance when he was stopped.

Possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana is a misdemeanour under Florida law, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 US fine.

First offenders rarely do jail time.