Canadian Myck Kabongo to return from 23-game ban
Texas guard was suspended for accepting impermissible benefits
Canadian guard Myck Kabongo said Monday he is ready to return to the court after a 23-game NCAA suspension and that he should have co-operated with University of Texas officials when first asked about a 2012 trip to Cleveland.
The Toronto native was suspended for accepting airfare and personal training instruction and then providing false and misleading information about the infractions during two interviews with university officials. Kabongo also was ordered to repay $475 to a charity of his choice.
Coach Rick Barnes has said Kabongo will be in the starting lineup Wednesday when Texas (10-13, 2-8 Big 12) plays at home against Iowa State.
"I am ready to start playing with my team again and putting behind me the last several months. When I went to Cleveland, I did not intend to break any rules and did not believe I had broken any. I should have been upfront with UT about everything the first time I had a chance, but I'm glad that I corrected my mistake and I'm glad that I was truthful with the NCAA."
The Longhorns are struggling through their worst season in 15 years under Barnes and are counting on Kabongo to help turn things around over the last few weeks of the regular season.
Kabongo started 34 games last season, averaging 9.6 points and 5.2 assists. Although not a great scorer, Kabongo is quick player and good passer who can help set up teammates for open shots in Texas' offence. Kabongo had been projected as a possible NBA draft pick this year.
"I have learned a lot about myself and what is important to me through this process," Kabongo said. "I have a great team, and they have supported me all year."