Jays lose Santos for at least 4 weeks
Closer nursing inflamed right shoulder, told not to throw for 2 weeks
Francisco Cordero will remain the Toronto Blue Jays’ interim closer for at least four weeks, performance permitting.
Regular stopper Sergio Santos, who’s on the 15-day disabled list with an inflamed right shoulder, has been told not to throw for two weeks.
While test results earlier this week did not reveal any structural damage, Santos will need time to get his arm ready for game action and then a rehab stint in the minor leagues.
Santos, 28, first experience soreness while saving Friday’s game at Kansas City. The right-hander still experienced discomfort the following day and there was concern the injury could be more serious.
"We were concerned to the point of not questioning it, putting him on the disabled list and having him evaluated totally," Blue Jays manager John Farrell told reporters.
Santos, who was acquired in the off-season from Chicago for pitching prospect Nestor Molina, is 2-for-4 in save situations with a 0-1 record and 9.00 earned-run average in six relief appearances.
Cordero, who entered this season with 327 career saves, has converted each of his two save chances in Toronto. Signed as free agent over the winter, the 36-year-old is coming off a 37-save campaign with Cincinnati.
In Santos’s absence, the Blue Jays recalled left-hander Evan Crawford from AAA Las Vegas, where he had not allowed a run in three games and four innings.
Crawford pitched in two games with Toronto earlier this season, giving up a hit and walking three in two innings.