gathright306-cp

Joey Gathright's attempt to make the Toronto Blue Jays came to an end Sunday. ((Darren Calabrese/Canadian Press file))

Outfield hopeful Joey Gathright has been released and two other players have been reassigned as the Toronto Blue Jays continue to shape their roster heading toward the start of the regular season.

Gathright had been held without a hit in five at-bats during an exhibition loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday, and went hitless again in a win over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday. Toronto represented the 13th stop in his professional career, the fifth in the big leagues.

"Like I told him in the room, I said, 'Joey, when we brought you in, it wasn't to help us win a Pacific Coast League championship in [triple-A] Las Vegas, it was to try to win a spot on this team," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said Sunday morning.

"And with the way spring has gone, the way our depth chart is starting to look right now — even in the minor leagues — he'd probably be pretty far down in the outfield depth charts in terms of call-ups."

Infielder Brad Emaus and outfielder Chris Lubanski were reassigned. Emaus was hitting .410 this spring, while Lubanski was batting .189.