Furlong to brief Georgian Olympic committee
The man who headed the Vancouver Games organizing committee says he will give the Georgian Olympic committee any information it wants concerning the death of luger Nodar Kumaritashvili.
"I will give them a full explanation of what has happened this week so they can have complete comfort about the actions of the organizing committee, and the two sports and the IOC, in preparing the track," John Furlong, VANOC's chief executive officer, told The Canadian Press on Thursday.
"That's what they will get from me."
The Georgian Olympic committee wants an explanation of newly released documents related to Kumaritashvili's death. The 21-year-old was killed in a crash during luge training on the day of the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Games.
One of the documents is an email from Furlong which raises concerns about the Whistler Sliding Centre track being dangerous and the chance an athlete may be "badly injured or worse."
"I think the case could be made we were warned and did nothing," the email says.
Earlier this week, Furlong said he wasn't personally concerned the track was dangerous. Instead he was reading between the lines of a letter from the International Luge Federation (FIL) to the track's German designer, who was also building the track for the 2014 Games in Sochi.
As of Thursday Furlong had not been contacted by the Georgian Olympic committee.
With the one-year anniversary of Kumaritashvili's death approaching, Furlong has sent the man's parents a letter expressing his condolences.
"I gave some clarity around some of the things they may have been told this week," Furlong said. "It was mostly a letter expressing my own sympathies and reliving a few of the moments of last year.
"I felt it was important they hear from me."
Both the FIL and B.C. coroner's office have investigated the accident.
By the end of the summer an independent safety audit is expected to be completed at the Whistler Sliding Centre, which could ask for design changes.
Furlong has said in the past it was up the FIL and International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation to recommend changes to the track.
There were no luge competitions on the track this winter, but a World Cup event is scheduled for 2012 and the world championships in 2013.