|2015 Regular Season|
Uehara joined the Red Sox in 2013 and earned the closer's role midway through the season. He was a key part of the team that won the franchise's third World Series in 10 years, striking out Matt Carpenter for the final out in Game 6 on this date last year. He will turn 40 before opening day.
The move comes one day after Uehara allowed solo homers by Mark Teixeira and Chase Headley in the ninth inning that lifted the New York Yankees to a 5-4 win. It was Uehara's third loss in five outings and his third straight blown save opportunity. Manager John Farrell says Edward Mujica will become the closer. He also says Uehara has no physical ailments and is not being shut down for the season.
The 39-year-old closer is 4-2 with 18 saves and a 1.30 ERA this season.
Uehara owns a 1.09 WHIP and has struck out 22 batters in 14 2-3 innings.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Uehara was unavailable for Saturday's game at Yankee Stadium. Uehara felt discomfort during warmups Friday night before a 4-2 win over New York. Uehara has said he doesn't think the problem is a serious one. Farrell said there's a chance Uehara would return to Boston for an exam. Farrell said it's too early to predict whether the right-hander would need to go on the disabled list.