CBCMusic.ca is Proud to Announce the Debut of the CBCMusic.ca Festival
Mar 12, 2013
Featuring Sam Roberts Band and Of Monsters and Men
Plus Kathleen Edwards, Sloan, Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans, Half Moon Run, Jarvis Church, Elisapie, Aidan Knight, Kae Sun, and Shakura S'Aida
With special guest appearances by CBC Radio's The Debaters, Jian Ghomeshi, plus additional CBC Talent and Stars to be announced.
Over the past year, CBCMusic.ca
, Canada's free digital music service, has connected music lovers with the very best Canadian and International music, concerts and features. Now, CBCMusic.ca
expands their offering, announcing the inaugural CBCMusic.ca Festival
, taking place at Echo Beach
(999 Lake Shore Blvd W, Toronto, ON) on Saturday, May 25, 2013
This special CBC event will showcase exceptional national and international talent, including a diverse list of Canadian talent from across the country including:
• Sam Roberts Band - Multiple Juno award winner and Montreal native Sam Roberts burst onto the music scene over 12 years ago with the breakthrough EP The Inhuman Condition. This EP went on to become one of the best selling independent releases in Canadian music history. Sam Roberts Band is currently working on their fifth studio album.
• Of Monsters and Men - This internationally acclaimed five piece pop/folk group from Iceland have toured relentlessly since the release of their debut album My Head Is An Animal in 2012, playing to sold-out crowds all over the world.
• Kathleen Edwards - Originally from Ottawa, this Juno Award-nominated singer-songwriter has released four critically acclaimed albums since her debut in 2001, including her most recent album Voyageur, which was co-produced by Kathleen and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon.
• Sloan - Hailing from Atlantic Canada, this rock quartet has written some of Canada's best rock songs during their career which spans more than 20 years and 10 albums.
• Corb Lund (and the Hurtin' Albertans) - A fourth generation Alberta rancher and an award-winning singer, Corb's most recent album Cabin Fever went #1 on the Canadian sales charts.
• Jarvis Church - Singer-songwriter Jarvis Church fronted the highly successful Toronto based R&B-rooted pop group The Philosopher Kings in the 90's as Gerald Eaton. He then went on to co-produce the Grammy-nominated debut album for Nelly Furtado before embarking on his solo career as Jarvis Church.
• Half Moon Run - This Montreal-based indie folk trio has been receiving international attention as "the band to watch" in 2013 and will join Mumford and Sons on their European tour this spring. Their Canadian debut album Dark Eyes will be released worldwide later this year.
• Elisapie - From Salluit, Nunavik, this Juno Award-winning Inuit pop singer is also a filmmaker and activist.
• Aidan Knight - Victoria-based songwriter Aidan Knight is the namesake of the band who has released two albums in Canada, including their most recent Small Reveal in 2012.
• Shakura S'Aida - An award winning blues and jazz vocalist and part of the Canadian music scene for more than 25 years, she has wowed audiences all over the world with her soulful voice.
• Kae Sun - Originally from Ghana, this singer-songwriter came to Canada in 2001 to pursue a career as a professional musician and has since received critical acclaim for both his 2009 and 2011 releases. Kae's new album Afriyie is scheduled to be released on May 28, 2013.
In addition to the music performances, the CBCMusic.ca Festival will also highlight some of CBC Music and CBC Radio's exceptional talent. This will include a special live edition of THE DEBATERS hosted by award-winning stand-up comedian Steve Patterson, and guest appearances throughout the day by a number of CBC hosts including Jian Ghomeshi, host of CBC Radio One's daily cultural affairs program Q. Additional CBC Talent to be announced closer to the date.
Echo Beach, Toronto's first fully-licensed outdoor beach concert venue is located on the East Island of Ontario Place, just east of the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre. The 5,000-capacity venue features a real sand beach and offers guests a spectacular view of the downtown Toronto skyline. It is a general admission venue with no reserved seating, which means fans can get up-close-and-personal to their favourite bands.
Tickets for the CBCMusic.ca Festival
will go on sale Saturday, March 16 at 10:00 am
. General admission tickets will be available for $59.50 + service charge at www.ticketmaster.ca
, all Ticketmaster outlets and to charge by phone at 1-888-985-5000. Tickets will also be available at Toronto independent record shops Rotate This and Soundscapes.
To be the first to get your tickets, CBCMusic.ca
will have an exclusive pre-sale available for users on Friday, March 15
. For more information on the pre-sale and the festival, please visit cbcmusic.ca/festival
Don't miss the first ever CBCMusic.ca Festival, Saturday May 25, 2013 rain or shine, at Echo Beach!
About CBC Music.ca
CBCMusic.ca is Canada's free digital music service. For the casual listener to the hardcore fan, connect with the very best Canadian and international music, concerts and features. Simple and easy to navigate, CBCMusic.ca gives Canadians access to 50 Web radio stations, 12 distinct genre-based music communities, CBC Radio 2 and CBC Radio 3, plus content from the most knowledgeable music personalities and programmers from across the country, hundreds of concerts, playlists and more.
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada's national public broadcaster and one of its largest cultural institutions. The Corporation is a leader in reaching Canadians on new platforms and delivers a comprehensive range of radio, television, internet, and satellite-based services. Deeply rooted in the regions, CBC/Radio-Canada is the only domestic broadcaster to offer diverse regional and cultural perspectives in English, French and eight Aboriginal languages.
To download artist bios & photos, please visit the CBC Media Centre at cbc.ca/mediacentre.
For more information, interviews or media passes please contact:
O: (416) 205-7973
C: (416) 420-5241