The Dish: Indian Cuisine
On our latest edition of The Dish, we delve into the world of Indian cuisine. Meena Cleland teaches Indian cooking classes in her home and at the Parkinson Recreation Centre in Kelowna.
Meena joined Rebecca in studio for a quick lesson.
Meena's Chana Masala Recipe:
3 tbsp grape seed oil
1 tsp cumin seed
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 tbsp ginger finely chopped or grated
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp channa masala
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ tsp besan flour (chick pea flour)
2 cups pureed tomato
1 cup water
2 cups chick peas
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp tamarind pulp (optional)
1 tsp garam masala
½ cup chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves
½ cup chopped green onions
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the cumin seed and when they start to crackle, add onion and sauté until the onion is golden brown - about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger and salt plus all the spices.
3. Sauté for 1 minute and then add besan (chick pea) flour and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add water, chick peas, lemon juice, brown sugar, tamarind pulp and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Mix in garam masala.
7. Sprinkle on chopped cilantro and chopped green onions just before serving.
|CBC Radio One 88.9 FM Kelowna||Weekdays 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.|
|CBC Radio One 94.1 FM Kamloops||Weekdays 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.|