Monday September 04, 2017
The book that helped Liz Lokre in her journey of self-discovery
more stories from this episode
- Why Jillian Tamaki believes in the power of magical realism in a digital age
- Why S.K. Ali believes in the unlimited potential of girl power
- Brian Francis on how books on beauty have evolved over time
- The book that helped Liz Lokre in her journey of self-discovery
- Why Kimmy Beach wrote a novel about a 100 foot tall wooden puppet
- Full Episode
Liz Lokre says that her current reads are all about self-discovery. The talented Toronto singer-songwriter highlights The Gift of Being Yourself by David Benner as a particularly insightful book.
"Deepening my understanding of who I am in relation to love, in relation to spirituality and in relation to God helps me define who I am uniquely as an artist, as a human being.
This book explains that we typically look outside ourselves to inform our understanding of ourselves — we look to our influences, we look to our friends and our family and out circumstances. But, truly, we all need to take the time to look inwards. That's when we tend to discover our truest self. As an artist, knowing yourself is the most important thing."
Liz Lokre's comments have been edited and condensed.