Monday December 08, 2014
Darrell Dennis, Children's Book Panel
In this episode:
* Darrell Dennis on Peace Pipe Dreams: The Truth About Lies About Indians
* Quique Escamilla on Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende
* Our Children's Book Panel recommends great holiday reading for young people
* Christopher Paul Curtis on The Madman of Piney Woods
* Katherine Govier on Half for You and Half for Me
Children's Book Panel selections - Winter 2014
Michele Landsberg's picks:
* The Madman of Piney Woods by Christopher Paul Curtis, ages 11+
* Gustave by Remy Simard, illus. Pierre Pratt, ages 4-7
* The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee, picture book, ages 4-8
* Audrey (cow) by Dan Bar-El, illus. Tatjana Mai-Wyss ages 8-12
Michele's bonus picks:
* Sisters by Raina Telgemeier, ages 8-12
Michele says: A delightful graphic novel about the natural tensions between siblings on a road trip to visit relatives - with flashbacks.
* Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire (author of Wicked), ages 12+
Michele says: A sprawling and uproarious fantasy set in Czarist Russia, with two girls - a princess and a peasant - accidentally changing places and teaming up with the witch Baba Yaga to outwit climate change.
* Fire Pie Trout by Melanie Mosher, illus. Renne Benoit, ages 4+
Michele says: Gracie and Gramps go fishing in the early morning dark, where Gracie discovers her wit and courage and catches a trout.
* Rosa Rosa by Robert Priest
Ken Setterington's picks:
* Lots of Kisses by Lorna Crozier, board book for infants
* Love You More by Susan Musgrave, board book for infants
* If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers by David J. Smith, illus. Steve Adams, non-fiction for school-aged children
* A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius by Stacey Matson, novel for middle readers
* Walking Home by Eric Walters, novel for middle readers
Ken's bonus picks:
* The Flat Rabbit by Bardur Oskarsson, picture book
Ken says: Kind and gentle story of a rat and a dog who discover a flat rabbit lying in the road. They plan a unique send off for her. Humourous, and ultimately satisfying story of a perfect send-off for a friend.
* Do Not Open Until Christmas by Jean Little, middle readers
Ken says: A collection of 12 stories from a master writer that showcase the power of Christmas.
* Julian by William Bell, teens
Ken says: Powerful story of a young man wanting to find his way without the support of a family. A book that will be sure to have both male and female teens intrigued and caught up in Julian's story. This is simply book not to be missed, by a writer we don't hear from enough.