Wednesday October 04, 2017
One Word: Yeasts
Yeast — yes, yeast — is revolutionizing the way we eat and drink, how we produce milk and meat, and even how we get high.
In this episode, join host Chris Nuttall-Smith on a journey deep into the secret life of yeast.
- Chris heads into the woods with brewmaster Sam Corbeil who makes beer with the help of forest air.
- Winemaker Norman Hardie and sommelier Merrin McHugh talk about wild yeast wrangling and why natural yeasts make for the best wine.
- Baker Simon Blackwell introduces Murray, the sourdough starter responsible for his delicious loaves.
- Catherine Price gets Chris to test out the yeast eating fad of the 1920s.
- Richard Priess, Angus Ross and Nate Ferguson of Escarpment Labs show off their astonishing yeast collection.