Friday November 27, 2015
First member of sponsored Syrian refugee family arrives in Canada
more stories from this episode
- Remembering Shannen Koostachin and the forgotten generation of Indigenous children
- Cultural appropriation confusion continues after yoga class controversy
- Meet the soon-to-be new Canadians inside Beirut refugee camp
- First member of sponsored Syrian refugee family arrives in Canada
- Kurdish Foreign Minister pleas with Canada to keep military presence in Kurdistan
- Full Episode
Today we have an update on the story we brought you this week in Piya Chattopadhyay's documentary "The Drop" about a family of 8 asylum-seekers hoping to move to Canada.
It was the story of the Ripple refugee group, as they call themselves, here in Toronto. They've been meeting for months, preparing for the arrival of a family from Syria.
Shortly after our documentary aired, the first member of the family, Anas, landed on Canadian soil this past Tuesday.
The rest of Anas' family is expected to arrive on December 6th.
Andrew FitzGerald is a member of the group of sponsors. He joined Piya Chattopadhyay in our Toronto studio.
Listen to Piya's documentary "The Drop"
This segment was produced by The Current's Liz Hoath.