Thursday March 05, 2015
End federal tax on tampons, says NDP MP Irene Mathyssen
more stories from this episode
- Scientists question research on homeopathic treatment for ADHD
- Louise Arbour calls for a rethink of Canada's Foreign Relations
- Checking-In on Sherpas, immigration limbo, tax-free tampons & more
- End federal tax on tampons, says NDP MP Irene Mathyssen
- Senator Jim Cowan fights for genetic discrimination to be illegal
- Full Episode
In 2011 we spoke with Katie Lingard, whose father has Huntington's disease. Multiple companies denied Katie insurance coverage for her practise as a chiropractor because she refused to be screened for the disease.
Eventually Katie Lingard did manage to get insurance, but her story is not unique.
Senator Jim Cowan, the leader of the Opposition in the Senate, has been advocating to make genetic discrimination illegal. But his bill was gutted last month... and is now likely to fail.
Senator James Cowan joined us from Halifax.
This segment was produced by The Current's Sarah Grant.