Sunday December 18, 2016
It's time to hear from the militant moderates
more stories from this episode
- The cold truth about wind chill
- Electoral reform must include racialized communities
- Senate 6/49: why a lottery for senators is the best way to go
- Canadians are wrong about Muslims, happiness, and homosexuality
- It's time to hear from the militant moderates
- Google, holocaust deniers, and your fear of math
- Full Episode
In debates over the environment and the energy industry, the media often depicts a divided public, holding competing rallies.
For example, after the federal government's approval of Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, news viewers were treated to images, like the one above, of protest from Vancouver, BC.
In Alberta, anti-carbon tax protesters have taken up a lot of screen time as well.
But Jeff Jones, reporter and columnist with the Globe and Mail, wants to hear from the middle-ground: the compromisers, the give-and-takers, the careful deliberators.
Jones is calling for a groundswell of moderates.
A new militant middle has to confront the mobs and tell them that they will fight them. Fight them hard with informed discussion and courtesy until they cry "uncle!" - Jeff Jones, Globe and Mail
He argues that what Canada really needs is a vocal middle-ground movement, ready to rationally debate the issues, to keep the absolute 'yes' or 'no' sides from dominating the news.