Sunday October 04, 2015
Why this ad man thinks we're doing it all wrong online
more stories from this episode
- One of these street scenes may be bad for your mood. Can you tell which one?
- Why we treat tech companies like religions
- 'We're kind of making it up as we go along' — What it's like to be a video game archaeologist
- He built an ethical ad blocker so you don't have to feel guilty
- Why this ad man thinks we're doing it all wrong online
- Full Episode
As the use of ad blocking software increases, so too has hand-wringing and controversy in the advertising industry. On his blog The Ad Contrarian, longtime ad man Bob Hoffman declared "I never make predictions. But online advertising is a train wreck waiting to happen." That was in 2013, and now he feels more certain than ever. Bob outlines why he believes many of the predictions and assumptions about online advertising are just plain wrong.