Sunday January 25, 2015
Cuba's underground alternative to the internet
more stories from this episode
- Cuba's underground alternative to the internet
- If the kids don't have wi-fi, the school bus will it bring it to them
- This app lets you lend your eyes to people who are blind
- The hidden social reality behind digital labour
- How your smartphone could help predict the weather
- The Digital Economy: Capitalism 2.0?
- Full Episode
The U.S. move to normalize relations with Cuba could potentially give more Cuban citizens access to the internet and other technology.
But Sujatha Fernandes, author of Cuba Represent!, says Cubans already have an alternative to the corporate-driven web known as The Weekly Package -- a 1-terabyte collection of TV series, music, video clips, Spanish language news websites and more. It's data-sharing in censored world.