Sunday January 18, 2015
These gadgets are always listening
more stories from this episode
- Can an AI program be a criminal?
- How social media could be changing your child's sense of self
- We Asked the Question - How have the kids in your life reacted to you posting pics of them online?
- These gadgets are always listening
- The internet of emotional things
- Are we getting closer to having a real universal translator?
- Full Episode
From Amazon Echo, to Point, to Withings Home, a new wave of consumer electronics are always listening to you. These devices use sophisticated microphones, and can be programmed to answer questions, or alert you if something sounds out of the ordinary. Nora talks to Michael Casey, a professor of music and computer science at Dartmouth College, to understand the trend towards always-listening gadgets.