Saturday February 25, 2017
Somebody won NASA's spacesuit toilet contest
more stories from this episode
- A solar system with 7 Earth-size planets: will there be life?
- New Zealand could take drastic steps to save the Kiwi
- These cave crystals contain 50,000-year-old life
- Fort McMurray forests are on the rebound
- Somebody won NASA's spacesuit toilet contest
- Quirks Question: Why did my jello freeze like this?
- Full Episode
When Air Force flight surgeon and family physician Dr. Thatcher Cardon saw the NASA Poop Challenge come up in his Facebook feed, he wondered if he could make what NASA was looking for.
"I like to tinker with stuff. I spent a few minutes thinking about it. I thought I think I can do this." The idea came together pretty quickly for him one night after he lay down, closed his eyes and focused on the problem.
A couple of months later and ta-da! Dr. Cardon won the grand prize of $15,000.
This system he devised is a proof of concept. Dr. Cardon hasn't actually tested it yet.