Saturday August 12, 2017
Why does scar tissue persist when cells renew?
more stories from this episode
- Puppies that get tough love succeed as guide dogs
- Massive ice sheets weirdly warmed us up
- Mass grave from ancient Athens could be executed rebels
- This armoured and spiky dinosaur still had to hide from predators
- A super-supernova could happen in our neighborhood
- Lab weed is weak and it's a research problem
- Why does scar tissue persist when cells renew?
- Full Episode
This week's Quirks Question comes to us from Sandra Pilgrim, who asks:
"If all of our cells are constantly renewing themselves, why does scar tissue from injury or surgery persist?"
To answer this question, we reached Dr. Saeid Amini Nik, an assistant professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto, and also works with Sunnybrook Hospital's Trauma, Emergency and Critical Care Program.