Thursday June 01, 2017
Sgt. Pepper at 50: did you know about these Canadian connections to the classic Beatles album?
more stories from this episode
- Prepare for a Wesley Snipes tsunami: the actor looks ahead to his many upcoming projects
- Sgt. Pepper at 50: Jann Haworth tackles the conspiracy theories surrounding the iconic album artwork
- Sgt. Pepper at 50: did you know about these Canadian connections to the classic Beatles album?
- When fine art and music collide: a group of guitar makers pays tribute to the Group of Seven
- Matt Holubowski, Queen Latifah and more: music from today's episode
- Full Episode
While the Beatles are immediately identified with Liverpool, England, their classic album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band has some distinctly Canadian connections.
Beatles expert Piers Hemmingsen, who wrote the book The Beatles In Canada — The Origins Of Beatlemania!, reveals some interesting facts about the 1967 album.
Among the nuggets he discloses is the mythology around the OPP badge Paul McCartney wore in the photo, above, as well as the album's connection Expo 67.
— Produced by Ben Edwards