Thursday April 06, 2017
YouTuber Lilly Singh's secrets to becoming a bawse
more stories from this episode
- Future Islands challenge fans to be open and vulnerable with their music
- Ngozi Paul examines black female representation through pop culture in new play
- 'With or Without You' and the origin of the infinite guitar
- YouTuber Lilly Singh's secrets to becoming a bawse
- Nina Simone, Leeroy Stagger and more: music from today's episode
- Full Episode
Lilly Singh does it all: she's a comedian, singer, actress and motivational speaker. Her YouTube videos, where she goes by the name Superwoman, have collected over one billion views. But for someone whose empire is all about new media, she's gone old school for her latest project. She's written a book.
How to be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life (out now) is exactly what it sounds like. It's an inspiration memoir as she reflects on her personal journey to superstardom and shares lessons she has learned on the way. But, she warns: "I wrote an advice book, but I don't think people should take advice from me just because I have 11 million subscribers.
"This is not the end-all, be-all; I want people to extract what they want from it. I preach self-love, but if you need to get help, there is absolutely no shame in doing so."
For a full list of Singh's book tour dates, head over to her website.
— Produced by Jean Kim