Tuesday November 14, 2017
Philip Pullman's surprise return to the world of His Dark Materials
more stories from this episode
- Philip Pullman's surprise return to the world of His Dark Materials
- Why we're all craving 'escapist TV' right now
- Heather O'Neill's musical tribute to Montreal's Plateau
- Judah Friedlander is trying to find comedy in uncommon places
- Terra Lightfoot, Michael Buble and more: music from today's episode
- Full Episode
For most of you, dust is just a household nuisance that makes you sneeze. But for fans of Philip Pullman, dust, along with daemons, are different, important, otherworldly elements in the His Dark Materials trilogy, the British author's bestselling fantasy book series.
Now, 17 years after the trilogy wrapped up, Pullman is back with The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage. It's the first volume of a new trilogy, one that exists in the same universe and acts as a companion to his previous books, but this time around, Pullman is writing about his concerns over threats to freedom of speech.
Today, guest host Ali Hassan speaks to Pullman about returning to his famous book series.
— Produced by Shannon Higgins