Monday September 18, 2017
Pierre Kwenders is building a musical bridge between Africa and the rest of the world
more stories from this episode
- Were The Handmaid's Tale and Saturday Night Live's big Emmy wins a result of our political climate?
- Pierre Kwenders is building a musical bridge between Africa and the rest of the world
- What makes a movie a hit: good reviews or big budgets?
- Giller Prize juror Lynn Coady discusses this year's "diverse and exciting" long list
- Childish Gambino, Oh Wonder and more: music from today's episode
- Full Episode
Montreal-based musician Pierre Kwenders is back with a new album. Makanda at the End of Space, the Beginning of Time is his way of building a bridge between Africa and the world as he continues to challenge perceptions of the continent, and the label "world music."
Kwenders speaks with q host Tom Power about how coming to Canada from the Congo in the early 2000s, singing in a church choir in Quebec, and taking a multi-lingual approach has influenced his artistry.
— Produced by Jean Kim