Monday June 19, 2017
After a long hiatus, Land of Talk's return is right on time
more stories from this episode
- Andy Kim reflects on the sweet success of songwriting
- After a long hiatus, Land of Talk's return is right on time
- David Sedaris takes us on a musical trip to North Carolina
- Michael Mando on being good at being a bad guy
- The Archies, the Rolling Stones and more: music from today's episode
- Full Episode
There was a point when it looked like Land of Talk, Elizabeth Powell's musical project, would never return.
In recent years, a number of personal obstacles — ranging from parting with bandmembers to losing music on her hard drive, to the ill health of her father — have either prevented a return or understandably taken precedence in Powell's life.
Life After Youth represents the return of Land of Talk — and Powell's uniquely stirring voice — after these trying circumstances and is the followup to 2010's Cloak and Cipher.
From the new album, the band performs "Yes You Were" and "Spiritual Intimidation" in the q studio, and Powell talks to q host Tom Power about finding her way back to music.
— Produced by Mitch Pollock