Friday April 22, 2016
k-os shares a Prince story worthy of a Dave Chappelle sketch
more stories from this episode
- Remembering Prince (1958 - 2016)
- k-os shares a Prince story worthy of a Dave Chappelle sketch
- Producer L. Stu Young on working with Prince: 'That energy was amazing'
- Ann Powers on Prince: 'He was musical in every fibre of his body'
- Robin Givhan says Prince 'was using fashion as a form of aphrodisiac'
- Ani DiFranco on 'one of the most vivid people' she's ever met
- Naila Keleta-Mae on the void Prince leaves in popular culture
- Ingrid Chavez on Prince: 'He loved helping people realize their dream'
- q sports panel on Prince's love of basketball and his Super Bowl performance
- Prince's former guitarist Dez Dickerson on being part of something iconic
- Daphne Brooks on Prince's legacy as an African-American artist
- Stars' Torquil Campbell on Prince's inspiring ownership of the stage
- Tanika Charles covers Prince and takes centre stage with 'Soul Run'
- WEB EXTRA: Adrian X on Prince's wide musical scope
- Full Episode
Canadian rapper k-os joins Shad to share a special meeting he had with Prince at a Toronto nightclub.
As the story goes, k-os was "summoned" by Prince to attend a concert and the subsequent after-party. The rapper fondly remembers his first encounter with Prince, "he's wearing a red jump suit and he's sucking on a lollipop."
The conversation that followed has stuck with k-os.
"He quizzed me for about 15 minutes. What label am I on? Do I know my royalty rate? ... He was getting really upset with me, kind of like, 'You need to know this stuff, you can't be on the plantation forever man.'"
k-os says it felt like an older brother giving him advice.