Friday December 15, 2017
ICYMI: Behind the scenes of big news stories in 2017
Today my pick of the week is Longform.
I've been following the Harvey Weinstein allegations obsessively these past few months. So, hearing investigative reporter Jodi Kantor give a behind the scenes look at how she and her colleagues at The New York Times broke the story is very relevant to me right now. One of the most interesting aspects of this interview is the exploration of the question, "Who pays for investigation journalism?" In a time where most people want news that's free, it brings up a really important point. Kantor mentioned emphatically that this investigation was long, and required a lot of resources. Without the support of Times subscribers, it couldn't have happened. Not only did this piece make me think deeply about the Weinstein allegations, but the broader importance and value of investigative journalism. That's why Longform is my pick of the week,
- Kate Evans, Producer, Podcast Playlist.
Podcasts featured this week:
- Longform - In October, New York Times reporter Jodi Kantor (with Megan Twohey) published an article detailing decades of incidents of sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein, she shares what that investigation was like. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Debrief - Myanmar's military crackdown on the country's Rohingya has driven hundreds of thousands out of the country. But life in the refugee camps they've escaped to is dangerous. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The Breakthrough - BuzzFeed's Rosalind Adams set out to learn why America's largest psychiatric hospital chain was under investigation. Source by source, she built a case that Universal Health Services was locking up people against their will for profit. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- The World in Words - Reporter Lidia Jean Kott explores the roots of the word "antifa" and how the movement came to America. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- Deep Trouble - Moira Brown and Philip Hamilton are two of the many scientists and researchers dedicated to learning more about North Atlantic right whales, documenting their lives and trying to save the species. Click here to listen to the full episode.
- IRE Radio Podcast - An undercover reporter explores the world and dangers of short-term factory work. Click here to listen to the full episode.