Friday March 18, 2016
HIV/AIDS shame culture from Gaëtan Dugas to Truvada
more stories from this episode
- Why are so many Canadian veterans turning to pot?
- Underwater soldiers: The history of military dolphins, from the Cold War to now
- The case for a robot president
- The 'other' tax: Societal privilege and the cost of being different
- HIV/AIDS shame culture from Gaëtan Dugas to Truvada
- Riffed from the headlines 18/03/2016
- Full Episode
Shaun Proulx - who is living with HIV - says he's seeing lots of backlash to the drug amongst gay men. He says people who choose to take the drug are being dubbed "Truvada whores".
Truvada is said to lower the chances of contracting HIV by as much as 90%. It has recently been approved by Health Canada.
Dugas became the poster child for AIDS and sparked the belief that the virus was only being spread by promiscuous gay men.