Friday March 18, 2016
Why are so many Canadian veterans turning to pot?
more stories from this episode
- Why are so many Canadian veterans turning to pot?
- Underwater soldiers: The history of military dolphins, from the Cold War to now
- The case for a robot president
- The 'other' tax: Societal privilege and the cost of being different
- HIV/AIDS shame culture from Gaëtan Dugas to Truvada
- Riffed from the headlines 18/03/2016
- Full Episode
Veterans advocate Michael Blais and psychiatrist Dr. Sue Sisley speak with guest host Laura Lynch about Veterans Affairs minister Kent Hehr's promise to conduct an internal review into the recent spike of veterans using government-funded, medically prescribed marijuana.
Blais says that he has personally experienced the benefits of marijuana as treatment for his "mental wounds", while once-skeptic Dr. Sisley is coming around to the idea that marijuana could be an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and hopes to conduct large-scale research project on the issue.