Friday March 20, 2015
Is India's beef ban red meat for the PM's base?
more stories from this episode
- Sin City vs La Belle Province: where should the next NHL team land?
- Canadian hospitals profiting from foreign patients raises questions of ethics
- More charges ahead for Robert Durst?
- Is India's beef ban red meat for the PM's base?
- Will the Supreme Court legalize edible medical marijuana?
- Riffed from the Headlines 21/03/2015
- Full Episode
It's takes a lot of nerve to serve up a beef curry in India these days. Especially in the country's Haryana province where this week legislation made selling beef a criminal offence. And it's not just Haryana. Maharashtra, the country's largest province and home to Mumbai passed a law against the possession and sale of beef earlier this month. Some think this beef crackdown is all part of a Hindu nationalist agenda being pursued by the country's Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Shoaib Daniyal a writer for Scroll explains what's going on.