'Cozy Classics' author Holman Wang shares advice on how to get your kids to read
If you're worried that your kids may have a tough time getting back into the groove of reading and writing, author Holman Wang can help. He is the co-creator of Cozy Classics, a board book series that features stories like Moby Dick and Jane Eyre with needle-felted pictures.
Holman gave Candy some tips on how to get kids reading again and recommended a few of his daughter's favourite books. Here are some of them!
Holman's Reading Tips
1. Break the bedtime rules: Let the kids stay up late, but only if they're reading or looking at a book. Even buy your child a headlamp! This will help equate reading with permissible fun rather than making it a chore.
2. Explore non-narrative formats: Including how-to books, joke books, list books (e.g. Guinness Book of World Records), and encyclopedias (Lego, Star Wars). Especially with boys, sometimes they're open to reading, but aren't necessary interested in a story.
3. Graphic novels: There's nothing wrong with comics! American-Born Chinese (YA) and Roller Girl (school-aged kids) are great examples of graphic novels with substance.
4. Explore libraries: Make an express adventure of visiting a distant library. A treasure hunt for books!
5. Read the TV: With older reluctant readers, let them watch TV or a movie without the sound, but with the closed captioning on. If they want screen time, they have to read!