Tuesday January 17, 2017
Chelsea Manning friend 'totally elated' after Obama commutes sentence
more stories from this episode
- Chelsea Manning friend 'totally elated' after Obama commutes sentence
- Search for MH370 suspended, leaving family members of missing Canadians without answers
- Baby won't stop crying? Swedish study claims acupuncture could help
- Syrian refugee sues Facebook after his Merkel selfie is falsely linked to terrorism
- Jan. 17, 2017 episode transcript
- Full Episode
In one of his final acts as U.S. President, Barack Obama has decided to set Chelsea Manning free.
Late Tuesday afternoon, news broke that the army intelligence analyst who was convicted of leaking a huge trove of documents in 2010 will have her prison sentence commuted — and be released in May.
Manning has served almost seven years of her sentence and was due to be released in 2045.
As It Happens guest host Helen Mann spoke with Evan Greer, a free speech activist and friend of Chelsea Manning.