Quebec's travelling journalist: April 2014 Archives
Tuesday April 15, 2014
The Journey of Nishiyuu was a life-changing experience not only for the handful of young Cree people who set out from their community to head towards Parliament Hill, but for the people watching around the world. Quebec's Travelling Journalist Marika Wheeler visited Whapmagoostui this spring, a year after what became known as the Journey of Nishyuu, to find out how that walk changed the lives of the people involved.
When a group of young Cree set out on their journey in January, on foot, ready to weather the elements like their ancestors had generations before them, few thought they'd ever reach their goal.
But they did.
After walking 1,600 kilometers, from their village of Whapmagstooui, those young men and their guide walked into Ottawa and on to Parliament Hill at the end of March. Their journey had captured the attention of people all over the world. By the time they arrived their little group had grown to nearly 300 aboriginal youth...
The Journey of the Nishiyuu didn't only redirect the life of the young man who started it... It also prompted his nation to rethink how they use traditional healing in the modern world. We find out what it was like for the Nishiyuu walkers once they got home to the village of Whapmagstooui, where it all started.
Visit CBC Aboriginal's website for photos and videos.
Thursday April 3, 2014
Categories: Marika Wheeler, Quebec's travelling journalist, Saguenay/Lac St-Jean
Tuesday April 1, 2014
Our travelling journalist Marika Wheeler met with voters to find out if the luster of having a possible Premier as their MNA is enough to sway voters.
- June 2014
- Fri., 6 – Teens hooked on fly tying
- May 2014
- April 2014
- Tue., 15 – Revisiting the Journey of Nishiyuu
- March 2014
- Tue., 25 – Gas shortages in Chevery
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- October 2013
- Mon., 21 – New respite home for farmers
- September 2013
- July 2013
- Tue., 2 – Part 3: Gaspé Wharves
- June 2013
- April 2013
- Tue., 2 – Spiffing up Knowlton
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- Mon., 3 – Exotic plants grown in Arundel
- November 2012
- Mon., 12 – More women taking up hunting in Quebec
- October 2012
- September 2012
- Wed., 26 – Asbestos prepares for end of asbestos mining
- June 2012
- Mon., 4 – Temporary worker camp in Port-Cartier
- May 2012
- April 2012
- Thu., 5 – Driving the 389
- March 2012
- Thu., 8 – A specialty store for big-footed folks
- February 2012
- Fri., 10 – Divisive bridge project in St. Augustin
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011