Eastern Townships: February 2014 Archives
Thursday February 27, 2014
Imagine one day your shoulder or hip suddenly pops out of its socket for no apparent reason. You feel crippling pain all through your body - but no one is able to tell you what's wrong.
It's a scenario several Quebecers have faced and many are still dealing with. Our Townships reporter Alison Brunette has been speaking with several people across the province who suffer from EDS. Pictured left, Catherine and Robert Sones.There are more than seven thousand rare diseases - in many cases they are difficult to diagnose and even harder to treat. In part one, we heard about sisters Catherine and Michelle Sones, who, along with their father Robert, all suffer from EDS. Now, we hear about what happens once a diagnosis is made.
We also find out more about another form of the disease, vascular EDS, and can be fatal. Hear the stories of Gail Ouellette and France-Valérie Roy.
Since we first broadcast these stories, some listeners reached out to us. Quebec City resident Alisha Nicholson posted a comment on our Facebook page, and Alison got in touch to find out more.
Categories: Eastern Townships
Wednesday February 26, 2014
More on an exclusive CBC poll "Stay or Go", where we look at what keeps Quebecers here and what drives us to leave. The CBC poll was conducted by Ekos Research, which interviewed 2,020 Quebecers.
Today, we looked at response from our listeners who are staunchly in the "Stay" category. Among them was a call from David Northcliffe, who lives in Birchton, just outside of Cookshire-Eaton in the Eastern Townships.
We also hear from two people in the Baie des Chaleurs region: Wendy Dawson and Shino Muraki. We first met Shino Muraki during our special broadcast from Cascapedia-St-Jules in January 2013. You can hear what she had to say about making her life in Caplan, Quebec here.
Categories: Baie des Chaleurs, Eastern Townships, The Gaspé
Thursday February 20, 2014
High school students from around the province are getting ready to do battle next month... but don't worry, they won't be duking it out with each other! They're building robots to do the dirty work for them.
It's part of what is called the F.I.R.S.T Robotics competition.
Categories: Eastern Townships
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- Mon., 30 – Sticky question of maple syrup labelling
- Fri., 27 – Off Coaticook's beaten track
- Tue., 17 – Neptune Technologies re-opens
- Thu., 12 – Students and seniors smashing stereotypes
- Thu., 12 – Orsainville helicopter escape fallout
- Mon., 9 – Lennoxville Farmer's Market
- Mon., 2 – Field issues dog Sherbrooke soccer clubs
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- Thu., 27 – Living with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Wed., 26 – Stay or Go?
- Thu., 20 – Robots at Richmond Regional High School
- Tue., 18 – Confronting Islamophobia in the Townships
- Mon., 17 – Citizenship case falls through the cracks
- Thu., 13 – Hooked on School Days in North Hatley
- Wed., 12 – William Stone's Leg
- Wed., 5 – A Google map to the human brain
- Mon., 3 – Remembering Charles Bury
- January 2014
- Fri., 31 – Brewing a beer school at Bishop's
- Thu., 23 – Parents challenge school bus fee
- Fri., 17 – Lac-Brome still under boil water advisory
- Thu., 16 – Hospitals charging for private rooms
- Wed., 15 – Polo the Cat finds a home
- Tue., 14 – Wheelchair curling club in Lennoxville
- Tue., 14 – Sherbrooke man wants to go Mars
- Thu., 9 – Medical marijuana in palliative care
- Mon., 6 – Cinézoo showcases zoo therapy talents
- Thu., 2 – A chilly fundraising initiative
- December 2013
- Tue., 31 – Winter fun at Parc du Mont Hatley
- Mon., 30 – Talking Turkey in the Townships
- Mon., 30 – Je Veux Savoir
- Tue., 24 – Ice Storm Clean-up in the Townships
- Thu., 19 – New Health Coop to open in Ayer's Cliff
- Wed., 18 – From Football to Bobsledding: Sam Giguère
- Thu., 12 – Sherbrooke hopes to takeoff
- Mon., 9 – Reading between the vowels
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- Thu., 11 – Townships cities push for railway safety
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- September 2011
- Mon., 12 – Wales Home inaugurates a new garden