Toronto Broadcast Centre
- Harvey Cashore
- Greg Hobbs
- Millan Curry-Sharples
- Phil LaChappelle
- Lesley Birchard
- Fred Nicolaidis
- Jane Eisbrenner
- Sonia Arab
- Leslie Wasserman
- Tony Lomonaco
- David Wilson, PM CBC Doc Unit
- Oleh J. Rumak,
The Fifth Estate
- David Kitching,
- Karen Sebesta,
- Steve Sloan,
- Don Reynolds,
- Nick Rose,
Life With Boys
- Jim Corston,
Life With Boys
Glenn Gould Studio may be rented to business organizations and individuals for seminars, meetings, product launches and other events. All bookings are subject to the availability, policies and rental terms of the Studio.
Glenn Gould Studio offers business groups an exciting, reasonably priced alternate venue to hotel, meeting or convention rooms for their next gathering. Located in the Canadian Broadcasting Centre across from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre and the Rogers Centre, Glenn Gould Studio is a short walk from the Bay-University-King Street business area of downtown Toronto.
Glenn Gould Studio is built in the classic shoebox concert hall design, and is constructed of oak and maple flooring, plaster walls and polylaminate materials. It has been designed for performance, but can be used successfully for conferences, meetings, press conferences, rear-screen video projection, screenings and shareholder meetings. It can accommodate up to 341 people comfortably in a surprisingly intimate environment that offers both privacy and elegance. The adjoining lobby works well for receptions and informal gatherings.
The stage (50' wide by 27' deep) is 16" above floor level and takes up a full third of the room. Rear-screen projection systems up to 11' by 20' can be accommodated. A lectern and sound reinforcement system are also available.
Its location in the Canadian Broadcasting Centre allows access to state of the art communications and recording facilities. Satellite uplink connection, multitrack recording and prop rental can all be coordinated through Glenn Gould Studio.
The Studio is rented in blocks of time (7 hrs, 11 hrs, or full day), subject to availability. Each rental period includes an 8-hour technician day. Any other time will be subject to conditions laid out in the CBC/CMG collective agreement.
Rental Fee includes the following:
- Glenn Gould Studio auditorium with available lighting system and setup.
- Lobby/reception area.
- Public washrooms (including private wheelchair washroom).
- Backstage facilities: Lounge, 2 private dressing rooms (one with wheelchair access), 2 large dressing rooms, washrooms.
- House technician for stage set-up and operation of existing lighting setup.
- Front-of-House personnel (ushers &coat check) for a four-hour call.
- For events involving an audience in Glenn Gould Studio, use of the resident usher corps is required.
- seats (theatre type, centre aisle)
- 4 wheelchair positions house: 60' width, 60' length, 30' height (nominal)
- stage: 50' width, 27' depth (nominal)
- licensed under LLBO for 322 people (standing)
- direct, private entrance from Front Street West
- coatcheck facilities for 175 people
- PA systems available
- 2 large dressing rooms, 2 private dressing rooms
- backstage lounge & washrooms
- stage manager position with window overlooking auditorium
- backstage crossover to audio control room
- 2 soundproof announce booths (e.g. for simultaneous translation)
- small technical balcony
- equipped with small and large sound reinforcement systems, monitors
- 2 channel Clear Com throughout (includes RF headsets).
- 65 instrument lighting system on 5 grids
- 96 mic lines, 34 audio trunks, ten video lines accessed from 5 stage boxes, ceiling and house positions
- sound reinforcement system (please refer to technical sheets)
- Coverage of event by Radio (other than CBC)
- Television/Cable/Internet coverage (other than CBC)
- Audio (using CBC 2-track equipment)
- Video (as above plus fixed house camera)
- Archival audio and/or video recordings of event (licensee will be required to sign an archival recording release form)
- House sound reinforcement system
- CBC sound reinforcement technician
- (A renting organization may engage its own sound reinforcement technician to work on its behalf with Glenn Gould Studio equipment. CBC retains the right of approval for such individuals.)
- Wireless lav or handheld microphones
- Rear-projection video equipment (Operation of video projection equipment may involve the services of an additional technician.)
- Onstage 4-level risers (6 available)
- 60 amp, 3 phase power hookup and removal
- Glenn Gould Studio management reserves the right to assign additional stagehands based on the technical requirements for the event.
- As with the House Technician, the stagehand(s) will report directly to Glenn Gould Studio management.
Any professional catering service (subject to Glenn Gould Studio acceptance) may be engaged by a renting organization to function on its behalf in Glenn Gould Studio. The facility is a licensed facility, therefore all alcoholic beverages must be ordered through Glenn Gould Studio. Requests for specific brands must be supplied to the Front of House Manager at least ten business days prior to the event. The Studio and its washrooms are wheelchair accessible.
Glenn Gould Studio can accommodate "buffet-style" catering only in the lobby. Glenn Gould Studio policy does not allow for "sit down" dinners in either the lobby or Studio.
Fire regulations do not allow for standing room in the Studio during events.
Stage entrance for performers and equipment is 25 John Street.
Renting organizations must provide documentation of the following insurance coverage for its occupancy period in the Glenn Gould Studio: comprehensive general liability in an amount of not less than $2,000,000 per occurrence.
Deposit required is a minimum of 50% of the Basic Rental Fee, payable upon confirmation. Deposit is non-refundable. Payment will be accepted in cash or by money order and certified cheque.
There are a number of parking lots within walking distance of Glenn Gould Studio. The closest above-ground lot is located in the north-west corner of Front and John Streets, 1/2 block west of the main studio entrance. There is another above-ground parking is situated on the east side of the Broadcasting Centre, a 1/2 block west of Simcoe Street, with its entrance on Wellington Street. Underground parking is available at Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall with their garage entrances accessible from Wellington Street. The Metro Convention Centre offers underground parking, and this garage can be entered via Simcoe Street. There is also underground parking available in the Workers Safety and Insurance (WSIB) building located in the north-west corner of Simcoe and Front Street West. This garage must be entered from Front Street, and is connected to the Broadcasting Centre by the underground path system. Parking charges vary considerably according to time of day and local events.
Download a map of the area surrounding Glenn Gould Studio, with highlighted parking areas.