episodes: March 2011 Archives
Tuesday March 29, 2011
Marking the 62nd anniversary of Newfoundland's union with Canada, the Performance Hour features new music by Patrick Boyle.
Well Enough Alone: The Confederation Suite was composed by Patrick in a special commission for CBC Radio.
You'll hear the debut broadcast, recorded during a concert at the LSPU Hall in St. John's.
It features an all-star lineup of Newfoundland jazz alumni:
- Patrick Boyle, trumpet and flugelhorn.
- John Nugent, saxophone.
- Bill Brennan, piano.
- Jim Vivian, bass.
- Michael Billard, drums.
The second set from this concert featured another Patrick Boyle composition: Same Here, along with Charlie Parker's Confirmation and the Gershwin classic Embraceable You.
Monday March 21, 2011
Growing up in suburban St. John's, Tom stumbled upon bluegrass music when he heard the award-winning movie soundtrack "Oh Brother Where Art Thou." It changed his life.
He began taking banjo lessons with the renowned academic and bluegrass aficionado Neil Rosenberg, and soon formed his own band in the basement of his parents' house in Cowan Heights.
Ten years later, Tom has a folklore degree from Memorial University, a national CBC Radio Show, and he tours North America with his Newfoundland trad band The Dardanelles.
On this week's show he plays many of his bluegrass favourites, including classics from the great Bill Monroe and early innovators Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs (pictured), as well as tunes by Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, Bela Fleck, and Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers.
Tuesday March 15, 2011
As I mentioned in the previous post, we're beginning a new occasional series this week: "Sessions in F."
Thanks to our friends at CBC Television, here's a look at the making of the show, with Tim Baker, Sherman Downey and Jody Richardson performing live off the floor in Studio F at CBC St. John's.
Jody RichardsonRead more »
- February 2013
- Mon., 25 – The ECMA Extravaganza, 2013 Edition
- January 2013
- Tue., 29 – The Sparks Literary Festival, Part Two
- October 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Tue., 29 – Joanna Barker and the Songs of "February"
- April 2012
- March 2012
- Tue., 27 – Patrick Boyle's Ode to Confederation
- February 2012
- December 2011
- Mon., 12 – Remembering "What a Time" It Was
- November 2011
- Tue., 15 – Superpickers! and the Peter Narvaez Legacy
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- Thu., 28 – Canadian Jazz: The Next Generation
- March 2011
- February 2011
- Wed., 16 – Tom Petty in Leather Pants?
- January 2011
- Tue., 11 – Early Favourites and Life-Changing Music
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Tue., 30 – Night Music for Weekend Shut-Ins
- October 2010
- Mon., 25 – Chris Kirby and the Marquee