December 2011 Archives
Monday December 12, 2011
They are cited as an influence and inspiration by countless traditional bands and musicians.
That all changes earlier this year, with the release of What a Time: A Forty Year Celebration.
The two-CD set assembles 42 favourites from the days when Ryan's Fancy was a household name, renowned for their live shows and known to all as television stars who travelled and filmed across Newfoundland and the Maritimes.
This Saturday, the Performance Hour reviews the remarkable career of Ryan's Fancy. Surviving members Dennis Ryan and Fergus O'Byrne join me to talk about the new release and hear a few of the old tunes.
They'll recall their younger days, pay tribute to their late friend and colleague Dermot O'Rielly, tell a few stories, and remember what a time it was.
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Tue., 29 – The Sparks Literary Festival, Part Two
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Tue., 29 – Joanna Barker and the Songs of "February"
- April 2012
- March 2012
- Tue., 27 – Patrick Boyle's Ode to Confederation
- February 2012
- December 2011
- Mon., 12 – Remembering "What a Time" It Was
- November 2011
- Tue., 15 – Superpickers! and the Peter Narvaez Legacy
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- Thu., 28 – Canadian Jazz: The Next Generation
- March 2011
- February 2011
- Wed., 16 – Tom Petty in Leather Pants?
- January 2011
- Tue., 11 – Early Favourites and Life-Changing Music
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Tue., 30 – Night Music for Weekend Shut-Ins
- October 2010
- Mon., 25 – Chris Kirby and the Marquee