April 2011 Archives
Thursday April 28, 2011
The first time Tara Davidson played in St. John's, she came with a pair of Canadian jazz heavyweights, Mike Murley and David Braid.
They called that band the Davidson Murley Braid Quintet, and among jazz fans her name would have been the least recognizable of the three.
But Mike Murley knew that wouldn't be the case for very long. He predicted that the next time she came through town she'd likely be leading a band of her own.
Fast forward to 2011. A few weeks ago, Tara Davidson released her third CD, and came to St. John's to begin a Canadian tour with the Tara Davidson Group.
The new album is called "View," and her current band represents a new generation of Canadian jazz players, with a renewed emphasis on melody and harmony.
This Saturday we'll hear their concert from the Petro Canada Hall on the campus of Memorial University,
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- Tue., 29 – The Sparks Literary Festival, Part Two
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Tue., 29 – Joanna Barker and the Songs of "February"
- April 2012
- March 2012
- Tue., 27 – Patrick Boyle's Ode to Confederation
- February 2012
- December 2011
- Mon., 12 – Remembering "What a Time" It Was
- November 2011
- Tue., 15 – Superpickers! and the Peter Narvaez Legacy
- October 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- Thu., 28 – Canadian Jazz: The Next Generation
- March 2011
- February 2011
- Wed., 16 – Tom Petty in Leather Pants?
- January 2011
- Tue., 11 – Early Favourites and Life-Changing Music
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Tue., 30 – Night Music for Weekend Shut-Ins
- October 2010
- Mon., 25 – Chris Kirby and the Marquee